Caer Engan

Home Astrocelt Library Astrocelt Links World Wide Druidry Archaeology
Astrology Astronomy Bardic Crafts Bardic Influences Bardic Tradition
Bibliography History Media Saints Sun Wheel

 

 Caer Engan

 

Caer Engan has been investigate by various antiqurians in the 19th century, it is a site positioned on a small knoll around which the river Llanlifni winds around a bend. Archaeologically speaking very little evidence has been found here. The site itself has been described as a fortified post in the 19th century which has been expanded on later. The observation made shortly afterwards in 1871 by JG Williams of Penllyn, Pwllheli; noted that very little remained, although the ramparts where visible. Later still the incomplete remains of probable hut circles within an enclosure with an eneterance way, were noted. The position of which is indicated to be somewhere between the northeast to east. Although the site itself has various recored drawings prepared in 1919, no other investigation of the site appear to have been carried out. A find from within the locality at the nearby village of Llanlifni where a gold Lunula has been recovered could have some relationship to this site. However this lunula is held in the Liverpool musuem.

Recent suggestions have been proposed where Caer Engan is being proposed as a probable site of Caer Dyfral, the court of Math ap Mathonowy within the fourth branch of the Mabinogion. However today an electric pylon is situated on its northeastern slope, the fortified ramparts described as being present over a hundred years ago have since nearly dissapeared and ferns dominate during the summer months making observations of its interior difficult.

 

 

Bibliography

'List of Early British Remains in Wales No. V: Caernarvonshire, South of Seiont, Archaelogica Camberensis 1855 pp. 175

Owen E., 'Ancient Britisg Camps in Lleyn and County Caernarvon: Transcribe from BMA MS No.28860,' in Archaelogica Camberensis 1903

William A., 'Correspondance by Aneurin Williams with Drawings,' in Archaelogica Camberensis 1919 pp. 535-7

Original February, 28, 2004

last updated March 2, 2005