St. Beuno


Home Astrocelt Library Astrocelt Links World Wide Druidry Archaeology
Astrology Astronomy Bardic Crafts Bardic Influences Bardic Tradition
Bibliography History
Media Saints Sun Wheel


 St. Beuno


According to legend St Beuno seat ended up at Clynnog fawr after various wanderings. Here he built the original cell being a gift in exchange from Cadwallon for a golden rod. However a dispute arose over the ownership once the original cell had been built and its boundary well-being completed. This was due to a pervious hesitance claim, which became an ugly debate that resulted in a curse being laid on Cadwallon. The Llan became taken out of the sovereign ownership who now had no claim on it, or could not raise any tributes or services. The Llan (enclosure or later church) of St Beuno became an independent island removed from sovereign kingship in which only the Christian God or its representative had authority within its confines. In another words it acted as an independent state with its own judicial and cannon law.

The oldest part of the church is a stone corbel roof dating back to the early 6th century. There too is a Sundial of viking orgin placed against the south elevation. Clynnog church was destroyed in 988 AD by the Norse (Davies 1990, 51).

Internnally the Church rood screen has been reproduced from the purges and there removal in the 16th century and still can be seen today within the church. Such a screen was errected originally to hide the rituals undertaken by the authorities within the church and these were hidden from the main congreation. Generally this was a response during the rise of paganism in the 14th century and in away removed the visible magical rites of the church from view.


Bowen, E.G., The Settlements of the Celtic Saints in Wales, University of Wales Press, Cardiff 1954

Seebohm, F., The Tribal System of Wales, Longmans, Green and co, London 1904 (2nd edition)

Last Updated: April 15, 2005